Sunday, August 26, 2012

I am BACK!

Dear strangers,

It is good to be back, but somehow I miss my other half of life, traveling and the people. Never in my life, I ever thought to go for a long journey with no preparation at all and traveled with strangers. Sometimes being brought up in Asian country and culture made us think that all the strangers are bad people. When I was traveling for 6 weeks, I have learned a lot - those experiences definitely money can't buy and no one ever taught you at school nor at home. We have all the basic things we know from school and some courtesy from home but surviving skill and being street smart, no one can ever teach us that. I bet every of my friends that I have known for years, they will never go for those kind of trips because they concern too much about safety and wants the acceptable place to stay which at least 3 stars hotels with aircon and hot shower. I just take a leap of faith and follow my instinct. And here I am now 6 weeks traveling, safe and sound, getting 4 times darker than before (who cares about being dark, people should start to practice it the phrases don't judge books by its cover), but I was not who I was 6 weeks ago.

This is the best journey in my life, I can't never put it in the word how I feel and how fascinated I was meeting different people with different ideas. Traveling solo is one of the best way to teach us about life and finding who we really are, and finding someone who has similar ideas and thinking like me.

laters!



The beautiful fishing village at Paradise!


Sunset in Paradise, one of the memorable place, thanks for bringing me here!










Angkor Wat - Siem Reap, Cambodia. The most amazing temple I've ever seen.

Siem Reap, it is a small city - the reason people are here is just to visit Angkor Wat, most of Cambodian are friendlier than Vietnamese but still you have to be street smart and make sure to bargain over everything. Angkor Wat is about 20 minutes away from the city centre with tuk tuk. Angkor Wat complex is huge, it takes about 3 days to finish everything. The ticket is USD20 for 1 day pass. You can buy 2 or 3 days pass for cheaper price. To travel around Angkor Wat, you can hire bicycle or take tuk tuk. I think hiring tuk tuk is the best because Angkor Wat complex is quite big and you have to walk alot . The tuk tuk tour cost about USD 12 for two person (that was the lowest I heard from other traveler). 
Where to stay in Siem Reap? There are plenty of guest house or hotel in Siem Reap, but my recommendation is the Garden Village Guesthouse, it is 10 minutes walk from Pub Street and night market where all the night life happens. The Garden Village itself has a bar on the top plays a lot of nice song and serve reasonable cheap and good food with beer start from 50 cents.

Currency? It is good to have keep some Riel and USD is widely use everywhere. The exchange rate is 1 USD = 4000 Riel. Always change it at city where you can compare the rates and never change it at the airport or immigration check point. 

What to eat? Khmer food! Luk Lok and Amok, be adventures try all the traditional Khmer food you can find.

Scam! be careful with the milk scams in Cambodia, the little kids always come to you say they dont want money but they want milk, when you start to buy for one out of nowhere the whole village will come and ask you to buy for everyone, they will chose the most expensive milk at certain mini mart. Be street smart, don't be so easily feel pity for the kids, remember most of Asian country have rough and tough life they do anything for money. 



Cruising down the Mekong River with the plane take off from the air port.


The Night market in Luang Prabang, Laos.


Sunset at the Mekong River - Luang Prabang, Laos.

Luang Prabang, is one of the most beautiful cities I visited. It is small city with a lot of art and crafts, honest and friendly people, yet expensive. 

Currency.
Laos kip is not exchangeable outside Laos. 1 USD = 8000kip. The money changer around night market has the better exchange rate compare to other place.

What to do in Luang Prabang?
Most of the bars and pubs are close at 12am and bowling opens till 2am. The tuk tuk to bowling alley is about 40000kip one way. Bargain and be friend with tuk tuk driver they are more than happy to lower the price for you.
Cruising down Mekong River, the cost is varies, you can get it from 10000 kip per person to 100000kip it depends how you bargain. 
Night market. It starts every day at 6pm. Bargain and bargain for everything. There are a nice juice stall at the end of night market near Luang Prabang ancient hotel, the first stall next to the small alley has the best juice ever, the lady is super friendly. The small alley next to the hotel sells a lot of food. You can find some vegetarian buffet in the night market it cost 10000 kip per plate.

Where to stay?
There are plenty accommodations start from 60000 kip per night for two to 200000 kip per night. Some of the accommodation only accept kip.  



Cycling through Luang Prabang.
Yngve - the Norwegian guy I met in Halong Bay, one of a kind.


Kim - another Norwegian guy I met, he is the best travel partner so far :D

No comments: