Sunday, October 2, 2011

Expect the unexpected October!

October, it's my birthday month and as well I expect a lot of surprises. First, I fired my boss, that is more logical way to express the case.

Everyone knows it began in April when I started to know where this company heading to under the 'fired' boss's management with his ignorant and arrogant attitude, never open his mind to other's opinion and always think he is right. I can say the management is a big failure and a lot of designers's creativity will die here yet all the effort will be unappreciated. I think it is a dead end to pursue my career longer here, it took quite awhile for me to make the action but I did not regret in the end the termination service letter arrived on 30th September.

From the start of this bar and restaurant project at Chijmes, he never let me explore and listen to my opinion ended it was a big disappointment on client's side during the first night opening, I was told to 'fix' the rest of the problem which is designing, it was more to cleaning out irresponsible decision of a arrogant boss that lack of knowledge in design but he thinks he can do everything since he has built a lot of bars. Last Friday we went to see the client and unfortunately my client likes my idea and refuse to accept his idea which is trying to salvage whatever that can be re-used (the wallpapers).

So I fired him as my boss. This is the longest battle in my mind but I am more than happy to leave the job because I did well and I have spoken out what in my mind. I believe there are doors open for me and the bright side is waiting for me. For me the 'fired' boss is a criminal who kills people's creativity and yet a thief who steals people's idea, it shows that he is not confident and ignorant to admit his mistakes.

After the incident, on the following Sunday, me and my friends went to watch an Indonesian musical 'Laskar Pelangi' at Esplanade Theatre. We got the best seat ever, on the middle and 10 rows in front of the stage and guess who was sitting behind us? Nicolas Saputra, I was never be a fan of him but he is a good looking guy and the author of the book himself, Andrea Hirata. After the show my friends went for a short interview with him, he is a humble and very friendly guy. While the interview still going on I spotted Riri Riza, the director, and I got his signature as well the stage designer which really impressed me, Jay Subyakto.

So this is a good start in October. My birthday is coming soon, what else could I expect in my 25 years and maybe still going?

No comments: